Epilepsy Awareness for Children’s and Young People’s ServicesSubject categories: General Health and Social Care, Nursing and Health Care
The learners will develop their understanding of the condition which will enable them to offer more effective support to the children and young people in their care.
This course is delivered using a range of methods and resources including:
Group discussions, small group activities, case studies and DVD clips.
This course has been developed and mapped to:
NICE Guidelines: Epilepsy in Children and Young people
NICE Guidelines: Epilepsies: Diagnosis and Management
And the following QCF unit:
Contribute to Monitoring the Health of Individuals Affected by Health Conditions
What is epilepsy?
Causes of epilepsy
How is epilepsy diagnosed?
Types of epilepsy
What are seizures?
Types of seizures
Seizure management and documentation (including First Aid)
Positive risk management
Planning for the future
- State what epilepsy is
- List causes of epilepsy
- Describe how epilepsy is diagnosed
- List types of epilepsy
- Describe what seizures are
- List types of seizures
- List steps of seizure management and required documentation
- Give an overview of current medication used
- List benefits to the child or young person when positive risk management is used
- List areas to consider when planning for the future